Friday, June 29

"Those who can't, teach"


                I’ve had some excellent teachers in my life – brilliant people who had a passion for teaching, an ability to connect with students, a deep knowledge of their subject and a drive to improve themselves. They didn't try to be our friends, but they did listen to us, respect us and help us when we were down. I have a lot of respect for these teachers, and wouldn't change a thing about them.
                On the same note, I know some excellent teachers in Texas’ schools today. So when I say the following, I want it to be clear that I am aware this isn't a blanketed statement. But let’s face it. Many teachers aren’t up to par. There isn't any one person or group to blame. It’s a number of things, and that’s what we’ll look at today.
                Linus Wright, a former Dallas ISD superintendent, addresses this problem in “Restructuring Public Education for the 21st Century.”
                "Teacher and administrator academic preparation must become more rigorous, and teacher employment more selective. University requirements for elementary and middle school teacher candidates must require more courses in the content areas and fewer in methodology."
                I have to mostly agree with him on this one.

1. The foundation

                First of all, many future teachers aren't prepared at the most basic level – in grade school. The same problems we have been outlining over the past several weeks contribute to a number of students graduating high school without a deep understanding of literature, certain math skills, the foundations of science and historical knowledge and context. They graduate college and they have somehow missed out on multicultural and fine art experiences. And in all of that, they lacked guidance that should have taught them how to find information they don’t know, to analyze information and to communicate their opinions. They don’t have a love of learning. They don’t know how to study in-depth or think critically.
                 Not to say that these students can’t figure them out for themselves as adults. And, not to say (as mentioned above) that this describes every student. Some have parents or excellent teachers who find ways to supplement what the system's curriculum is mostly void of. But without help, how can we expect children to teach themselves all the things mentioned above. Without this foundation, how could future teachers be prepared to teach?

2. The teaching programs

                As Wright mentions, the teaching programs at many Texas institutions of higher education are not rigorous enough. Some of the programs at the University of Texas (a nationally recognized institution for teaching and arguably the best school for teaching in the state) only require its students to maintain a C. C is average. It isn’t failing, but it isn't exceptional or outstanding. It’s simply average. Grades are not the ultimate indicator of success, it’s true, and many excellent teachers come from UT, but imagine if the best school in the state for education is producing only average teachers. What are all of the other, less rigorous schools producing?

3. The selection

                Wright also mentions that the selection process for employment isn’t selective enough. I’m curious to hear from the teachers how they feel about this. I, personally, have little experience with the selection process. I do know that I had a dozen or more classes in high school where I learned little. In one particular class, my best friend (who was a bright kid and a natural at the subject) took it upon himself to teach us what the teacher couldn't (think Harry Potter and Dumbledore’s Army learning defensive spells, but less secretive). I’m convinced he’s the only reason we passed our TAKS test in that subject. That speaks to all of the problems we've mentioned (concerning the ill-prepared teacher), but it could reflect poorly on the selection process as well.

4. The culture

                One of the biggest problems is the way our culture perceives teachers. I’m sure many of you have heard, more than once, the saying “Those who can’t, teach.” And, hopefully, many of you have thought, that’s rarely true. Many intelligent people give up employment opportunities in their field because they would rather teach. More importantly, teaching is a complex skill on its own. There are many who can’t teach – it certainly isn’t a skill anyone could just pick up because they aren't good at anything else.
                But our culture tells us otherwise, and, in the minds that don’t challenge it, that diminishes our respect for our teachers. It’s harder to teach students who don’t respect your profession. And it affects teachers too. What does it tell future teachers when they only have to maintain a C to get into an education department and get their certificate? It says, pretty much anyone could do this. It says that teachers aren’t important.
                I can’t tell you how many instances in my undergrad I heard of students switching from nursing, biology, math, etc. to become a teacher because they found the subject matter too difficult. I’ve heard students say something like, “I’m getting my degree in English because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life… I’m going to graduate next semester and I still don’t know what I’m going to do with my life, so I’ll get my teaching certificate.” Often, these were the students who partied too much and studied too little.
                This shouldn't be the case. Teachers are an important part of our society, the backbone that gives us the foundations we need to be competent citizens. Shouldn't we expect more from out teachers? Shouldn't our culture give more respect to what teachers do?

                I could add another question to that list. Shouldn't we pay teachers more? And that’s what I’ll be discussing next week. How competitive is a teacher’s salary? And how would higher salaries benefit the field?
                Until then, please, discuss your thoughts in the comments. I’m curious to know what people think. 

3 comments:

Ashley Burk said...

This a conundrum of a topic...teachers have such a big hard job, yet we have so many sub par teachers. Why aren't more teachers fired? It is that there just isn't enough motivation to be a good teacher? I think we would have better teachers if it was less of bad pay, ill just do a bad job; to if I do a good job higher pay, and a bad job fired outlook.

Ashley Burk said...

This is a conundrum of a topic...teachers have such a big hard job, yet we have so many sub par teachers. Why aren't more teachers fired? It is that there just isn't enough motivation to be a good teacher? I think we would have better teachers if it was less of bad pay, ill just do a bad job; to if I do a good job higher pay, and a bad job fired outlook.

Unknown said...

Ashley,
Interesting thoughts. I agree that if districts offered better salaries, some talented individuals who choose to work in other industries would teach instead. But I have to disagree about the motivation of teachers. Several studies show that teachers don't become more effective with higher salaries. Teachers who are taught to work hard and love teaching are just as effective regardless of pay. Are you referring to unions? Or merit-pay? Something else, perhaps?